Welcome to my kitchen! Sit right down and join me for something yummy!

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nutty Barley Bake

(Picture taken from Taste of Home website)


I found this recipe a couple of years ago in a Taste of Home magazine, and fell in love with it. This is a wonderful recipe to make for big gatherings during the holidays. I think I first made it for Easter a couple of years ago. It was a big hit!

1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup medium pearl barley
1/2 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley (I omit this)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (I use fresh chives)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) beef broth (I use low sodium)
In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion, barley and nuts in butter until barley is lightly browned. Stir in parsley, green onions, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2 qt baking dish. Stir in broth. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I'll have to try this one for sure. We love barley!