Welcome to my kitchen! Sit right down and join me for something yummy!

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Broccoli Casserole

I will be making this dish for our Thanksgiving meal. This is one of my favorite holiday dishes from my childhood. I'll add a picture when I make it on the 27th!

1 cup cooked rice (I use brown basmati rice)
1/2 stick butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used reduced fat)
1 small can fat free evaporated milk
1/2 lb Velveeta, diced (it's not healthy, but it tastes good!)
2 pkg (10 oz each) frozen, chopped broccoli
Ritz (type) crackers, crushed (approximately half a sleeve)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cook broccoli until thawed and broken apart. Drain. In large skillet or pan, brown onion in butter. Add soup, milk, and cheese to onion, and cook until cheese melts. Add broccoli and cooked rice to onion mixture. Transfer to greased casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Take out and sprinkle cracker crumbs on top. Bake another 15 minutes or until edges are bubbly.

No comments: