Welcome to my kitchen! Sit right down and join me for something yummy!

Friday, November 14, 2008

Dinner Rolls


I make just about all of our bread, and have been doing so for about a year and a half. I make sandwich rolls that we use in place of sliced bread for sandwiches, I make muffins for breakfast, and I make pizza dough. I make other things from time to time, but these three things are what I make most often. Every once in a while I make dinner rolls. I made them this week, but decided to play around with the recipe. So, I took two of my recipes and combined them to make a new recipe. They turned out yummy! Here's how I made them:

3/4 cup hot water
3/4 cup cold milk
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp salt
2 eggs
4 1/2 cups freshly milled flour (I used hard white wheat)
1 T yeast

Right now I use a bread machine to mix it and go through the first rising (is that how you say that?). So I put my ingredients in the machine in the order listed above. It takes my bread machine an hour and a half to go through the dough cycle. Then I take out the dough and make my rolls. This time I did two different shapes. One is where I roll a small amount of dough into a log and then tie in a "knot." Those are the ones that kind of look like the shape of a cinnamon roll. The other shape I made was a clover shape. I took three small balls of dough and put them in a mini muffin cup. Then I heat my oven up to the lowest setting (170 degrees). I put the rolls in the oven and turn it off. I let the rolls rise for about 30 minutes. I remove them from the oven, and set the temperature to 400. When the oven is preheated I bake the rolls for 15 minutes.

The clover shaped rolls were a big hit, and I plan on making them again for Thanksgiving.

No comments: