Welcome to my kitchen! Sit right down and join me for something yummy!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nourishing Holiday Food Carnival


The Nourishing Gourmet is hosting a healthy holiday food carnival! Although this recipe is not one we eat regularly at our house, we do eat it at least once over the holidays....usually at our Thanksgiving meal. So, although I make it a bit healthier than I used to, it still has a lot of calories! Oh, but it is good!
So, without further ado, here is my favorite side dish at Thanksgiving!
Sweet Potato Casserole
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar (I use either Demerara or Sucanat with Honey)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
dash of nutmeg
Combine all the above ingredients and mix well. Place in greased 2-quart baking dish.
Then mix together the following for the topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar (I use dark brown)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 T flour
1 1/2 T melted butter
Sprinkle the topping on top of the sweet potato mixture. Cover and bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
----------------------------
Tip for making sweet potatoes: the easiest way is to bake your sweet potatoes and then scoop out the middle. You can also peel and boil, but it takes longer.)

1 comment:

Kimi Harris said...

Yum! We always love sweet potato casserole. Thanks for sharing your more nourishing recipe. I am sure it will be appreciated by many from the carnival. :-)