Welcome to my kitchen! Sit right down and join me for something yummy!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Quinoa

"Quinoa plants grow at high altitudes and produce round, highly nutritious kernels that can be boiled into pilafs, turned into soups, stirred into breakfast porridge or ground into flour." (Kitchen Window)

About a month or two ago I purchased some Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah). I wanted to try it as a side dish, but kept putting it off due to lack of a recipe. Monday I started looking for a recipe, and ended up doing my own thing. The results were tasty!


Now I know this picture doesn't look appetizing since there is a lack of color, but the food tasted good! The quinoa is at 1:00 on the plate. The other foods on this dish are tilapia and lima beans.



Basil Quinoa

1 tbsp butter
1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinse thoroughly)
1 small onion, chopped
5 button mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 cups chicken broth
4 or 5 basil leaves, diced

Melt butter in large non-stick wok or skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions, mushrooms and rinsed quinoa. Saute until quinoa is somewhat toasted, and onions and mushrooms are softened.

Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook until quinoa has absorbed the broth -- about 15 minutes.

Stir in diced basil leaves, and place in serving bowl.



The consensus in my family was favorable overall. My daughter said she likes couscous better, but she liked it. She said it kind of reminded her of wild grain rice due to the texture being chewy. My husband and I thought it was very good, and I will make it again. Maybe as a breakfast food next time!

No comments: