Welcome to my kitchen! Sit right down and join me for something yummy!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Homemade Crackers


This was my first attempt at making homemade crackers. My family loved them! I found the recipe online, but unfortunately I forget where I found it! I changed it a little bit to suit my tastes, and was pleased with the results. The crackers that were thinnest were the crispiest...the ones that weren't as thick were a little softer, but still tasted good.

I do grind my own wheat, so my crackers would taste different than if you purchased a whole wheat flour in the store. I think they would still taste good though!

Homemade Crackers

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used soft white wheat or pastry flour)

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Gently mix together all five ingredients until combined and dough forms a ball. Roll out dough until it is about 1/8th of an inch thick (I separated my dough into smaller portions and worked with a little bit at a time.) When your dough is the right thickness, take a knife and cut into the dough into the size crackers you want and place on greased cookie sheet. Prick holes into dough and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt, if desired.

Bake for about 10 minutes (you might want to check around 8 minutes). When the edges are brown, your crackers should be done. Place on cooling racks.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

yeah! I love the new blog! I mentioned it in my post today. I can't wait to try the wheat crackers.