Welcome to my kitchen! Sit right down and join me for something yummy!

Monday, July 30, 2012

First Cannings of the Summer

I love to can food for our family! I love the process, I love the results!  I love to store the food in my china cabinet and just look at it!  :)  BUT we have had a very dry summer and the garden hasn't done as well as usual!  

We planted beets for the first time this year and they did really good.  I was able to can some pickled beets and I also made some pickled eggs/beets.  They turned out really good!  Next came the cucumbers.  A couple of years ago I found a recipe I liked for pickles, and I was able to do that again this year.  They turned out nice!


 Above is a close up of my pickles.  I made some regular dill and I made some spicy dill.  Can you see the pickles with the red at the bottom of the jar?  That's the spicy pickles.  I used jalapenos and some red pepper flakes!

You can see the pickles and the beets in this shot.  I'm hoping to make salsa later this week or next week!  Mmmm....can't wait!

No comments: